Wednesday, December 29

Design: Nursery Mood Board

In less than 3 months, we will get to see our baby for the first time. That made me realize ... she does not have a nursery yet.

For the first few months she'll be sharing our room, but I need to think about what her room will look like. Hmm, okay Mommy G... time to roll up your sleeves.

Here is a mood board I whipped up together during the past few days. It's just a compilation of ideas that I think would look great for a nursery. We want a room that's serene and light, not too girly, but still a bit feminine.

Color palette: shades of grey, blue, green and cream



  • Wall paint. On the walls, I like something neutral and can go with anything. Grey is a wonderful color, and it has this calming effect. Restoration Hardware's lightest paint in the Flint family, Pumice, looks amazing. Another alternative is Benjamin Moore's Tranquility, but it seems like it's leaning towards the greenish grey side.

  • Area rug. Her future room is not at all carpeted, so an area rug is a must. Besides, I believe that a rug brings a room together. Pottery Barn Kids' trellis carpet has a subdued graphic pattern, comes in light green, and goes well with the color palette that we chose. 

  • Crib and bedding. Serena and Lily is a great place to get crib beddings that are super soft and comes in sets. They're a bit expensive, but feels so luxurious. As for the crib, I wanted a crib that is simple and modern ... like the oeuf classic crib in birch/white (not pictured), but it's waaaay out of my budget.

  • Dresser / Changing Table. Instead of getting a separate changing table, we figured it would be more cost-efficient to just use a low dresser like Ikea's Malm 6-chest dresser, and diy a changing pad on top. The drawers can still be used for storage, in addition to the existing closet.

  • Rocker. Another one that's way up on my nursery wishlist ... an Eames rocker in white ... or maybe in light blue. A piece of designer furniture really makes a difference.

  • Lighting. I have my eye on using a drum shade pendant for the nursery. I found one that I like - it's by Shades of Light, and it goes so well with the trellis rug, don't you think? Jonathan Adler also has these lovely giraffe wall sconces that I'm planning to put up above the dresser - at both ends of the art print display. I think the giraffes bring a bit of whimsy into the room.

  • Curtains. I wanted a sheer white patterned curtain on top of a plain white/cream canvas roman shade. Crate and Barrel's Marimekko Madison sheer curtain has a white-on-white leaf design that softens the room, and with the additional roman shade, we can instantly make the room darker when the baby is sleeping.

  • Accessories. babyjives' cloud mobiles took my breath away when I first saw them. I think they're just adorable. As for the artworks, I love avelisa's art prints.

I'm still missing a few accessories like pillows and decorations, but those are just minor things. Nursery mood board No. 1... done.


    Pin It!

    6 comments:

    1. Hi! Stopping by from MBC. Great blog.

      Have a nice day!

      ReplyDelete
    2. What a beautiful nursery! Thanks for including our Baby Jives mobile - I hope your lucky little gal gets one!

      ReplyDelete
    3. Thanks Jahje/babyjives. Your work is lovely! :) I will make sure that she gets one.

      ReplyDelete
    4. Anonymous2:52 PM

      Hi, what program did you use to make the mood board?

      Thanks!

      ReplyDelete
    5. For this mood board, I only used Keynote. But I usually do them on Photoshop.

      ReplyDelete

    I'd love to hear from you. xo

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...