Friday, September 16

Design: A Matera Confession



I live in Manila and I am a cheapskate.

I am drooling over the Matera bed for weeks and weeks now. I want it so badly but I don't know where to get it in Manila. I searched tons of furniture stores here but no one has it. Shipping it from the US is out of the question. It's about 5 large, in USD, and I am not going to cough up cash just like that... add to that the shipping + tax that would probably reach around 1 grand.

Then I had the brilliant idea of having a similar design made by awesome craftsmen in the Philippines.

Here's the Matera-ish in the making.



The bed was made from reused yakal hardwood. My dad offered to give me some of the pieces of hardwood he bought, and I am a sucker for free stuff. The craftsmen/carpenter also works for him. After days of sanding the hardwood, and multiple coats of wood stain...



See here, the color is darker than DWR's original Matera, which is made from oak. I like the dark wood stain better.

Photo from DWR

Matera: Solid oak and veneer. Matera-ish: Solid yakal all the way.



The slats are a tad fewer than the original, 12 compared to 20, but they're also made from yakal. The original Matera used ash slats, which is just a medium density wood.

It's coming together, and I'm uber excited.

As for the drawers, it's not similar to the Matera at all. I hate built-in drawers in beds. Besides, without the built-ins, I can clean under the bed much easier.

Here's the inspiration for the drawers from Martha Stewart.



I forgot to take photos of the drawers in process. The finished product will just do. Stay tuned!

Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. Hello Mommy G,

    I just wanted to say hello and thank you. I'm the designer of Matera collection for DWR. Good luck with your version of Matera and I can't wait to see the final result. I wish we could have made it more affordable for you to buy it instead, but it really did take a lot of work to manufacture it as you will find out.

    Kind regards,

    Sean Yoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I wasn't even sure anybody reads my blog, let alone you. Yes, I can just imagine how hard it is to create the Matera. I'd have probably spent 2k if I bought the materials myself + labor. Thanks Sean! I'll post the final product when it's ready. :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...