Monday, August 26

Food: Croissant Doughnuts vs. Kouign Amann


I have been a forever fan of kouign amann ever since I had it in Brasserie CiÇou. I had it again very recently, alongside the famous croissant-doughnuts (this is what they call them) of Wildflour. So, I said, why not do a showdown to see which one is better? I will do a comparison between the two products from these restaurants in terms of the usual categories.


Price
Cronut (trademarked by Dominique Ansel) wannabes here in Manila have prices that range from P75 to P140. I only tried the dessert fad from two different places (one from a cafe that's priced at around P90 per piece), and I found Wildflour's to be much superior. Wildflour's are among the more expensive ones (P120-140). CiÇou's kouign amann is P120 a piece. But that's without the salted caramel ice cream.
Winner: Tie

Variety
Cronuts have different flavors, much like their brothers from another mother, donuts. Kouign amann so far has one; but a little birdie told me that Brasserie CiÇou is launching a chocolate flavored one very soon. I can't wait to try it out.
Winner: Wildflour's Croissant-Doughnuts

Caloric Information
Now, I am not a diet expert. I only based this on my observation and from chatting with my chef cousin. Similar to how donuts are made, cronuts are fried (although some establishments do bake them). On the other hand, kouign amanns are baked. So, are kouign amanns healthier? Not necessarily. They probably have the same calories as cronuts because although kouign amanns are baked, they are full of butter and sugar. Cronuts are, well, like donuts... and we know how those things get to our thighs. Right, ladies?
Winner: Tie

Taste
Now for the most important part. I found Wildflour's croissant-doughnuts to be greasy (because it's fried) and sweet (because of the glazing). They are indeed flaky inside, and a bit chewy (good). Kouign amanns are much more like croissants that have the right amount of buttery goodness and sugary sweetness to it. If it isn't obvious here, I like kouign amanns better than croissant-doughnuts. But I guess it really depends on my mood. Sometimes, I do like sweets, and this is when I will choose cronuts, in general, over kouign amanns. But on any normal day, the kouign amann gets my vote. Now, if you put salted caramel ice cream into the mix, just like how it is usually served at CiÇou, it's kouign amann for me, hands down.
Winner: Brasserie CiÇou's Kouign Amann

On a side note, I also asked my husband to give both a try. He liked the croissant-doughnuts better than the kouign amann. So I guess, it's just a matter of personal taste. If you are the-sweeter-the-better kind of person, I bet that cronuts will win your heart.
Pin It!

11 comments:

  1. I haven't tried any of them. However I hear a lot of people saying that cronuts taste like otap with frosting. Hmm, I guess I better give it a try. I'd like to try Kouign Amann too!Sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maggie, lol. Natawa naman ako sa otap with frosting mo! :P

      Delete
  2. I'm really curious about these cronuts. But the curiosity isn't enough yet to fuel me to make the trip to any of the stores selling them. Haha. And then I read Maggie's description above. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha. Ako naman, I had to try it na, since nandun na ako sa Wildflour. Oh my goodness, ang haba ng pila ha.

      Delete
  3. Hi Ging! Thanks for this review, I will surely try this one of these days. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glaiza, yes try them both and let me know what you think.

      Delete
  4. hi ging! so nice meeting you at Fleur's party! kitakits sa next playdate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice to meet you too Maqui! :) I can't wait.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous9:08 PM

    Sabi nga nila Cronut taste like otap na may flavor. Worth it ba talaga sya sa price nya? I'm curious pero ayoko pa muna maki-gulo. Hehe

    Btw, nice meeting you last Saturday! Inantay ka talaga namin para ma-meet ka namin! In fairness, you're so pretty (and tall!) and very accommodating. See you sa next play date! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sha, medyo expensive nga yung cronuts. But I can now say that I tasted it na. Haha. Medyo out of the way din mga cronut places for me.

      Nice meeting you too! Heehee, thanks sa pag-antay. Next time, ittry ko nang maging early bird. See you soon!

      Delete
  6. OMG, your post made me hungry again! how I wish I could try this Ging, but hopefully when I go home, we can try it together!!!! I smell m-eat-up!!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...